The trick to taking a shot like this:
- Get low to the water. Lower than that. LOWER!
- Backlighting is best because this allows you to see through the water, so that means early morning or the evening.
- Fast shutter speeds to freeze the action. Either a fast lens or a higher than average ISO.
- Zoom in close. If that’s not an option, crop tight.
- Shoot. Lots. Of. Images. Dozens.
- Don’t bother trying to time the waves. Just fire away. You can always delete images that aren’t cool afterwards.
- Try not to get (your camera) wet!